Skip to main content

Child living with friends and families

Everett, WA |

my husband and his ex girlfriend had a child together. She moved the child out of WA. The mother have the child live from place to place with her friends that she made her son called grandma, grandpa, uncle, auntie, and etc. To which he doesn't know who is really who. During the summer she had him go live with her friend in Arizona then had him travel to WA and live with some other friends then he goes and live with her families. Everyone refuses the father to have his own child. Can the mother do such thing. Can her friends and families deny the father from having his child since the child is not with the mother?

Attorney Answers 1


Sounds as though there is no parenting plan/residential schedule. That may be the first problem - but the next issue is whether the child has been out of the State for six months or longer - if so, another state may have jurisdiction over the child and the mother. You'd need to know specifically, and in your personal consultation with a local family law attorney, you'll need to discuss the basis for your understanding.

"Everyone" - other than the child's mother - does not have standing to make residential placement decisions. If the parents cannot agree, then a court will make the decision. You need to know what court to ask for help. A local family law attorney will probably know a PI who can find the mother and the child.

There is a way to file a parentage action and ask for placement at the same time. This is not self-help law. You and your husband need assistance from a family law attorney in order to set this action up properly. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics