Child diagnosed is covered under ADA. Req school mtg for IEP gave info. Mtg useless. Next mtg same. Req people missing

Sparta, TN |
Filed under: Education law

Two meetings set up by school (they chose dates) and people from school not at the meeting to discuss child's new disability. They did not disseminate the info we provided them about the diagnosis, treatment and recommendations from specialist. 1st mtg- required personnel walked out as they had commitments-useless meeting nothing accomplished. 2nd mtg-all key personnel required to make decisions not at meeting. Info we initially provided 4 weeks ago still not disseminated, although I mentioned it in previous meeting. I tabled the meeting until all personnel can be there. I got angry and raised my voice. I did not curse. School Resource Officer (not present) came in as I was walking out. School officer made comments about me that he personally never heard. WHAT CAN I DO?

1. Stay calm, the law is on your side. It is about the school's failure to follow the law so don't let it become about you being disruptive to the school environment. Tennessee has many associations that help parents with special needs students deal with the schools. Do an internet search and contact a couple of them. You could also speak to a special education attorney, and education attorney who specializes in special needs children's care and school compliance with the law. You can find one here on Avvo or by calling the local bar association.
    Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Education law topics