Child Custody: Summer Schedule

San Francisco, CA |

My ex and I have an agreed (court order) Summer schedule with our 10 year old son. Am I allowed to share this with him? I'm not sure if it's normal for parents to share court order schedules with the child or not.

1. There's nothing wrong with doing so if you want to share this with your child but why? Most people, lawyers included, tend to think that the children will become old enough at some point to understand the complexities of their parents' arrangements. Why saddle them with things that they do not really need to be bothered with instead of encouraging them to enjoy being 10? I practice in Oregon, not California, but I'm pretty sure that there would be no law on the books saying you can't tell a minor about your court order scheduling. It's more of a parent's call at that point.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

2. Agreeing with the previous answer, there is no law against communicating this information with your son, especially if you and your ex are amicable and have a smooth co-parenting relationship. It's really a parenting choice. The courts generally see it that the children should not be aware of what is going on, so as to not put them in the middle of an already emotional situation. That being said, each case and situation is different, and it is really up to you and yoru ex and how the two of you decide to handle it. Good luck!

3. Well, you can share the schedule with your son so he knows when to expect to be at your house and when he's going to be with the other parent, but I'd advise against any talk about "court orders." There is no reason why your son needs to even know about court. Just tell him "mom and dad have agreed to X...."

FYI - it is not normal for parents to share court orders with the children. In fact, most judge prohibit any discussion about the family law case with the children. Most are smart enough to figure some of it out, but the rule of thumb is: keep the children out of it.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Child custody topics