Child accidentally hit the neighbors car with bike while it was parked sideways on the apron and over the sidewalk am I liable?

Asked 10 months ago - Cincinnati, OH

He was coming down the hill too fast and hit the back end of the neighbors car. However the car was parked sideways on the apron over the sidewalk because they had 4 cars already parked in the driveway. It's a small dent and scratch but they are wanting 1000.00

1. Alexander Mchenry Memmen

Pro

5

Answered . This is less about the "law" and more about your relationship with the neighbor. I would probably offer to pay to fix the scratch, but certainly not $1,000.00 without proof of the cost of service.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

4

1

Answered . Is the child OK? It seems that your neighbor is gutsy. I would be more worried about the child being OK before, I start demanding compensation. YOur neighbor shares partly the blame to leave his car parked in an area where it is foreseeable that a child could ride his bycicle. Do not pay him. Best of luck.

3. Theodor Kaplun

4

Answered . The neighbor should be worried about your child being injured, if you want to be civil you could offer to pay for the damage after they get an estimate at a mutually agreeable body shop, best of luck.

Pro

2

Answered . You don't say who you are.