Chil support enforcement with held alot of money from my families federal tax return. they took too much. how can i get it back

Jennings, OK |

we were paying to arkansas but last december my husbands ex filed in our state, oklahoma. the state was garnishing his wages, Oklahoma was in charge of sending it to arkansas. Arkansas' records show they got it but oklahoma s records show we paid nothing in the last 2 1/2 years. so they took 4200.00 from our refund. when we owed less than 1600.00. what can i do? and if i can somehow prove them wrong do they have to write my husband a check for the difference because that money was for a place to live and a car and we got screwed

1. Hire a tax attorney.
    Tax attorney will gather ARK, OK and Fed transcripts
    Give the tax attorney your payments and he/she will see if they matched and are reflected in the transcripts.
    If one state took more than it was entitled to, you can have the tax attorney file for a refund from that state.

-----------------------
    Its always dangerous to pay more "estimated tax"/"withholding tax" than you need to because:

(1) its an interest free loan to the government (you are cheating yourself out of the interest).
    (2) There are dozens of potential entities that can freely grab it for themselves

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Child support topics