Chil support enforcement with held alot of money from my families federal tax return. they took too much. how can i get it back

Asked over 2 years ago - Jennings, OK

we were paying to arkansas but last december my husbands ex filed in our state, oklahoma. the state was garnishing his wages, Oklahoma was in charge of sending it to arkansas. Arkansas' records show they got it but oklahoma s records show we paid nothing in the last 2 1/2 years. so they took 4200.00 from our refund. when we owed less than 1600.00. what can i do? and if i can somehow prove them wrong do they have to write my husband a check for the difference because that money was for a place to live and a car and we got screwed

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hire a tax attorney.
    Tax attorney will gather ARK, OK and Fed transcripts
    Give the tax attorney your payments and he/she will see if they matched and are reflected in the transcripts.
    If one state took more than it was entitled to, you can have the tax attorney file for a refund from that state.

    Its always dangerous to pay more "estimated tax"/"withholding tax" than you need to because:

    (1) its an interest free loan to the government (you are cheating yourself out of the interest).
    (2) There are dozens of potential entities that can freely grab it for themselves

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,046 answers this week

2,887 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,046 answers this week

2,887 attorneys answering