Checks were issued from insurance company for repairs to be done to my home. Person checks were issued to did not do repairs.

Brooklyn, NY |

House is located in Cofeild, NC. I am co-owner of house. Owners mother deposited checks, but no repairs were done to house. Checks were issued October 2011. Mother stated in November 2011 that $11,000.00 was already spent.

Sounds like you may have a lawsuit with against the co-owner. Spent on the facts you tell us about half of the money is yours. See a local lawyer

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

The checks were issued to settle an insurance claim. The money does not actually have to get spent on repairs. However, as co-owner of the house, you likely had a right to half the money. You need to consult with a NC attorney ASAP to see what the statute of limitions is. You need to learn if any statute of limitations is imminent.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.