Checking case status without going to court/using case number

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

If there is a mids . case and after the first court date , the person has the docket / case number , is it possible for anyone to track the progress of the case by just visiting the court any day and ask about case status ? Can they do the same without visiting as well ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, in most courts in California, it is possible to access the online case summary or docket via the Internet. For example, in Santa Clara, see:

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Robert Harlan Stempler

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I have on Avvo a legal guide that explains how to get free civil case information online, especially if all you have is the name of the court and the case number. I linked to that legal guide, below. Not all info is available online, however. For instance, there is a 60-day hold on information about unlawful detainers (eviction actions). Also, cases involving domestic violence and stalking are often protected for the sake of the victims.

    My legal guide explains this and also explains which courts have the info, as not all of them do. For those courts, the person must still go to the courthouse and ask the clerk. If you go to any courthouse with a case name or case number, other than those protected cases, the clerk will allow the individual to review the case file and make copies, unless a particular document has been placed "under seal" by order of the court.

    Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
    Twitter: @RStempler

    NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal... more
  3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may not see much of the details online. You can go to the clerk's office at the court, and request the file. The lines can be long, and then you can review the file. If there was a recent hearing on the case, the file may not have made it back to the clerks office. You could end up having to come back another day.

  4. James Mark Moore

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are in federal court you can open a PACER account and access the court documents on PACER. Most state courts also have on-line systems, though not all of them make all documents in the docket accessible on-line.

    The response I have provided is not intended to create and does not create an ongoing duty to respond to questions.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,512 answers this week

2,722 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,512 answers this week

2,722 attorneys answering