Skip to main content

Checking case status without going to court/using case number

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

If there is a mids . case and after the first court date , the person has the docket / case number , is it possible for anyone to track the progress of the case by just visiting the court any day and ask about case status ? Can they do the same without visiting as well ?

Attorney Answers 4


Yes, in most courts in California, it is possible to access the online case summary or docket via the Internet. For example, in Santa Clara, see:

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


I have on Avvo a legal guide that explains how to get free civil case information online, especially if all you have is the name of the court and the case number. I linked to that legal guide, below. Not all info is available online, however. For instance, there is a 60-day hold on information about unlawful detainers (eviction actions). Also, cases involving domestic violence and stalking are often protected for the sake of the victims.

My legal guide explains this and also explains which courts have the info, as not all of them do. For those courts, the person must still go to the courthouse and ask the clerk. If you go to any courthouse with a case name or case number, other than those protected cases, the clerk will allow the individual to review the case file and make copies, unless a particular document has been placed "under seal" by order of the court.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
Twitter: @RStempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You may not see much of the details online. You can go to the clerk's office at the court, and request the file. The lines can be long, and then you can review the file. If there was a recent hearing on the case, the file may not have made it back to the clerks office. You could end up having to come back another day.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If you are in federal court you can open a PACER account and access the court documents on PACER. Most state courts also have on-line systems, though not all of them make all documents in the docket accessible on-line.

The response I have provided is not intended to create and does not create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It also does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. It is based upon the limited facts provided by the posted question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. I am licensed to practice law only in the State of California, although I am also admitted to practice in all of California's federal district courts and in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics