Charged with trespassing 1st Degree on University of Missouri campus. Can I get the charge reduced/dropped/a diversion program?

Asked about 1 year ago - Columbia, MO

I've got a clean record and was charged in the 1st Degree because there was a fence.I'm an adult under 21, if that means anything. Jurisdiction should be Boone County. I'm also open to probation, then having the charges dismissed. If possible, please indicate if this can be taken care of without appearing in court.

1. Andrea R. Rogers

2

Answered . Yes, it's possible that an attorney could get your trespassing charge reduced to a lesser offense or negotiate a plea bargain deal for an SIS (suspended imposition of sentence) and probation. With an SIS, the case will be closed and there will be no conviction if you successfully complete probation. If the plea bargain deal is an SIS and probation, you will have to appear in court with your attorney to plead guilty to the original charge.

The outcome depends on which court this is being prosecuted in, your criminal history, and the details of your case. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney who practices in Boone County to handle this for you.

2. Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

1

Answered . Maybe. It depends on the prosecutor, the circumstances of the charge, and even the judge in some respect. Furthermore, you would have had to have been previously warned to be charged with trespass. An attorney would look into the merits of the charge as well.

3. Peter Todd Stevenson

Answered . Yes, that is certainly a possibly, but it's impossible to say without knowing the facts of your case and who the prosecutor is (don't post anything else on here). Get yourself a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible.