Charged with reckless driving on private property for driving in muddy shoulder. Found out it is government property later.

Asked over 1 year ago - Lynchburg, VA

I have clean driving record otherwise (Campbell county Virginia)

Also charged with destruction of property 18.2-140. (Reckless 46.2-864) officer did not witness me in mud but received a phone call from passerby (not property owner) and pulled me over 1-2 miles away. Unfortunately I do not have financial means to hire a lawyer.

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . Recommend you find a method to hire and pay an attorney. Think long term. A reckless driving convition may impact you financially for years to come.

2. James Donald Garrett

3

Answered . You should consult with an attorney regarding the charges. If you are convicted of either of the offenses, it will be a permanent criminal record you will have to deal with for the rest of your life. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one to represent you; however, a court-appointed attorney is not "free". Only if you are found not guilty or the charges are dismissed will the court-appointed attorney not cost you anything.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

3. Robert Dean

2

Answered . When you appear in Campbell County, ask the court to appoint counsel. Otherwise, I would recommend contacting a lawyer in Rustburg or Lynchburg who can assist you with the case. Both charges are serious, and you should speak with someone. Though I now exclusively represent victims of medical malpractice and nursing home neglect, I am a former Lynchburg prosecutor and would be glad to refer you to someone who can help. Feel free to contact me for a referral at (540) 985-0098.

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

3

Answered . You may have serious problems.

Prior may complicate

Lack of eye witness is of little concern

Your story provides no defense

Don't know what else to say but what do you want?