Charged with obtaining property under false pretense felony but item on report is less than 500 dollars. What do I do

Asked 4 months ago - Durham, NC

I go to first appearance on friday Never been to jail, No priors just nervous. I also did not kknow property belonged to someone. It was given to me to sell

1. Anna Morrison Goodwin

Pro

4

Answered . You get a lawyer. OPBFP is not based on a number value, just on the act itself, so the value of the property is listed only to show you received greater than a dollar. From here, it will take some time. But the first thing you do is get a lawyer. Hire one or get a court-appointed attorney. Do not do this on your own.

2. Christopher James Welch

Pro

2

Answered . Unlike larceny charges, the value of the property involved is not relevant to whether this is a felony. The best thing you have going for you is your clean prior record, and that will give you some additional options for how to dispose of the case. Step one should be to either hire a lawyer or get court-appointed counsel if you cannot afford the lawyer of your choice. They will then help walk you through the process, develop your options, and guide you to the best route for sorting this situation out.

3. Sarah Jessica Farber

1

Answered . Either ask for an appointed attorney or let the judge know you will be hiring your own attorney. You will be given a new court date after your first appearance tomorrow. It is normal to be nervous, but with the help of an attorney, you can really mitigate the consequences of this charge. Be sure to dress like you would for church - clean slacks and a tucked in shirt, no skin showing if you are a lady and no slouching your pants if you are a gentleman. I can't think of any other advice you'll need for tomorrow. Hang in there.