Skip to main content

Charged with furnishing alcohol to minor Tempe AZ ARS 4-244.9 - can I plead not guilty with any hope of success?

Mesa, AZ |

I'm 21, was at party with 10 friends at Firehouse on Mill Ave. Had one beer TOTAL. Officers for Dept of Liquor Licenses in plainclothes came by, checked all IDs because we "looked young." Friend age 20 next to me said she wasn't drinking. They told friend if ANYTHING showed up on breathalyzer, she'd go to jail, so she did admit to drinking. I admitted it was my beer she'd sipped. Her test was 0.000. I was charged with furnishing. My breathalyzer was 0.019.

If her test was negative, how can either of us be charged? Can we retract our admissions? Can we plead not guilty? They have no evidence other than our own honesty, and we're now charged with criminal offenses.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Assuming what you say is accurate there are a number of issues that might favor you and result in a favorable outcome. You need to seek an attorney to assist you. He/she will review the reports and investigate as necessary.



Everything's accurate, and I have no money. Won't I be assigned a public defender? Can I expect adequate help from him/her??

Craig S Orent

Craig S Orent


Depends on the court. Technically you are not entitled to court appointed counsel unless the State is seeking jail time. Some courts appoint counsel anyway.


You have some good offenses available to you contact a local criminal attorney for a free consultation. Now you know why you don't talk to police or investigators. Always ask if your free to leave and if the answer is "no" ask for a lawyer. Good luck.



Thank you for the advice!


You have an argument to make. How can you provide alcohol if there is none in the other person's system? Were there other minors in the room? Were there other people 21+ in the room? Was there alcohol in the minor's hand?

There are good defenses here.

Call a lawyer and prepare a defense.


Aaron M. Black
Criminal & DUI Defense Attorney
Martindale AV® Preeminent™ Lawyer
2012 Southwest SuperLawyer Rising Star
AVVO 10/10 Superb Lawyer

Law Office of Aaron M. Black, PLLC
3219 East Camelback Road #573
Phoenix, AZ 85018
Office #: 480-729-1683



All in our party were 21 or older except for my friend, who's 20 1/2. No, she was not holding alcohol. They really have nothing but our honest responses to their questions. Thank you very much for your help.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer