Charged with driving under dui suspension, what should i say or do in court? HELP!!

Asked about 1 year ago - Canonsburg, PA

I am charged with driving under DUI suspension in washington county pennsylvania.. I cannot afford a lawyer and i was denied a public defender because they think i make too much money.. I am just wondering what i need to say or do in court to reduce this charge because it carries a mandatory 60 days in jail and i cannot afford to go to jail.. I will lose everything, my job, my car, my family. i don't know what to do and i am terrified, please help!!

1. Robert C. Keller

14

Answered . Retain a criminal defense attorney and they will take all steps to protect you.

2. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

13

Answered . It sounds like you have a tremendous amount at risk, so I'm a little confused about your conclusion that you "cannot afford a lawyer". A better way to view it is that you cannot afford to not have representation in this matter. We can't, and I won't try to advise someone to act as their own attorney; it's a bad play all the way around. Lawyer fees vary considerably and are not advertised like a gallon of gas at the local Sheetz. You have to consult with as many lawyers as necessary to find one you are comfortable with and who will represent you at a fee that you can afford. It is even possible that you can find competent counsel who will agree to some sort of payment plan. If your car broke down tomorrow, I'm confident you would figure out a way to get it repaired. This is too important to ignore.

3. Samuel Cohen

10

Answered . Speak to some attorneys in Washington County. Many will work out a payment plan for you.

4. Lidia L. Alperovich

Pro

10

Answered . There is no recipe, you need an attorney

5. Thomas J. Wagner

10

Answered . I tend to agree that you cannot afford NOT to have an attorney. I have to think that you can find an attorney to represent you at the Magisterial District Court for as little as $500, maybe even less. What is the cost of losing your job? $10,000? $20,000? Find a legal way to raise the funds to pay a lawyer to help you. If push comes to shove and you haven't obtained a lawyer by the court date, then ask the judge to continue the case so you can hire a lawyer. You need to be able to document your efforts to hire a lawyer. If a continuance is granted, then ask the judge on the record to appoint you an attorney. (You have a right to make an audio recording of the proceeding. Take advantage of that right so you can document the motions that you made). If you are forced to proceed without a lawyer in spite of those motions, and are found guilty, then file an appeal to the Washington County Court of Common Pleas. where you will have a second chance to make these motions and continue to try to hire an attorney. A person who is being threatened with jail time has a constitutional right to the assistance of an attorney.