Charged with assault with bodily injury

Decatur, TX |

My son got into a fight at school and the other kid filed charges on him. He was arrested for assault causes bodily injury. The kid just had a busted lip.. Could he be charged with a felony?

Normally Assault Bodily Injury is a Class misdemeanor not a felony, assuming that your son must be 17 years old. If your son is under the age of 17, hew would be charged with Delinquent Conduct in Juvenile Court. A split lip is bodily injury. You should consult with a good criminal defense attorney.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the “good answer” button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

James Regan

James Regan

As a former prosecutor, I can tell you it depends upon how bad the injury looks, and what the victim says. Use Avvo to find criminal defense attorneys in and around Decatur and retain the one you are most comfortable with.

http://www.defendme.net | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

Just to clarify, the family of the other kid reported the incident to the police who took a report and discussed it with the prosecutor who accepted charges.

A busted lip is not a felony. Assault causing bodily injury (which means pain) is a class A misdemeanor. If he is under 17, it will be prosecuted in juvenile court. 17 and older means a trip to adult court.

He needs a good lawyer to keep try to limit the damage to his record, especially if he is not a juvenile.