Charged with a pdp in new jersey , what can be the conviction

Dumont, NJ |

shoplifted $70 worth of stuff from a pathmark, charged with a petty disorderly persons offense, im 18 , good student, on the deans list, and this is my first offense, what can i expect in court? can i get the case dismissed

I think this question was previously asked and answered. The penalty for shoplifting in New Jersey is a Disorderly Persons Offense and carries with it the maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $1,000.00 fine.

Here is the link to the shoplifting statute: http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/20-11.html

Here is the link to the penalties based on the nature of the offense: http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/43-3.html

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/43-6.html

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented.

Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

You can try and plea down to a lesser charge or conditional discharge if you qualify. You can discuss further at a consultation the particulars of your case with a local criminal defense attorney.

You are looking at up to 6 months in jail and 1,000 fine. WIth what you have posted, we can probably plead you down to something much more palatable. Kindly call for a free consult. 973 567 0954

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Again shoplifting is not a PDP it is a DP. On a first offense you are talking a fine and if shoplifting mandatory community service. A PDP has a $500 fine max a DP $1000, figure $250-$500. It is very difficult to get the case dismissed if they have the proofs. Stealing is against the law and cost everyone lots, it increases the costs for items. They rarely dismiss. A PDP or DP can be expunged in 5 years. An ordinance in 2. But lately the prosecutors rarely reduce to an ordinance.

my copy of the complaint-summons , says its a pdp, can i ask to be put on probation and in 6 months they dismiss the records after i pay all fines

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

If it is shoplifting 2C:20-11 it is a DP period, if it is a PDP it is not shoplifting. If it says shoplifting 2C:2--11 and also says PDP the PDP part is wrong. The is no diversionary program in Municipal Court. A conditional discharge only is for drugs. There are a few, very few, courts that have created their own programs, usually for under $100, one item and a first offense. Lawrenceville is one such Court. I have not seen Dumont or any other court in that area utilize such a program. The only dismissal is straight up and that is not likely.

my paper says charge ; 2C:20-11B(2) , when i was in the station, the officer filling out the report put it down as a pdp , and something else about being in the 4th degree. My court is municipal, and since this is my first offense, i sent the store and apology letter, and i am a student on the deans list, and i do not work, what fines or charges can i ber looking at, and will the prosecuter consider all of that

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Regardless of what the complaint says it is a DP. It could be 4th degree if $200-$499. The max penalties are $1000 fine, 1-5 years probation, 180 days in the county and about $175 in assessments and costs and a mandatory 10 days community service. On a first offense figure about $250-$500 fine, the assessments and costs and the community service. I suggest strongly you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to try to limit or eliminate some of this. If I may be frank, the prosecutor and police consider you a thief regardless of your accomplishments. They find it hard to understand how someone of your background and mind can steal and then beg for a break. They figure you have done this before and have not been caught. I would seriously consider displaying an incredibly humble and embarrassed attitude when speaking to them. They are not screwing up your future, you did this yourself. Get the best attorney you can, tell your parents and get the money no matter how embarrassing. No matter how many times you ask these questions the answers will stay the same. Get an attorney.

Shoplifting topics