Charged with 500.00 shoplifting and charged a felony.

Asked 12 months ago - Coppell, TX

What are chances the felony removed if we go with public defender?

1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

3

Answered . What do you mean "removed?" And $500 shoplifting is not a felony, so there's probably more to it.

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . To give an opinion about the ultimate result of a criminal case would require a complete review of the case. That cannot be done on Avvo.

However, because a person cannot typically get the public defender without being financially unable to afford to hire a lawyer, the question you ask has no practical impact on the situation. If the defendant cannot afford a lawyer and wants a lawyer, the court will appoint a lawyer. If there is a public defender's office in the community, the appointment will typically go to the public defender's office.

3. Doyle Wayne Neighbours

Answered . As was stated in another answer, theft of property valued at $500.00 does not normally constitute a felony. I speculate that the charge is enhanced because of a prior conviction. Most public defenders are hard working and do a good job. However, if you are able to employ a criminal defense lawyer of your own choosing you ate likely to be more satisfied. It is very important that you keep a felony conviction off of your record. It can ruin your future! Even a misdemeanor theft conviction will damage your future .Hire a good lawyer and follow his or her advice. Even if you have to borrow the money or sell something. It will be worth it.