Chapter 7 Meeting of Creditors was continued until a later date. Do the other deadlines automatically get extended?

Reading, PA |

Chapter 7 bankruptcy Meeting of Creditors was continued until a later date. Do the other deadlines automatically get extended? The "deadline to object to exemptions" says "30 days after the conclusion of the meeting of creditors" (so I realize that gets extended), but the "deadline to object to debtor's discharge" has a fixed date. Does that date automatically get extended, or does that stay fixed?

It stays fixed. Your creditors still have 60 days from the date of your INITIAL meeting of creditors to object. If no creditors object and you’ve completed all other requirements (such as completing your certificate of debtor education), then you will receive your discharge after the deadline for filing objections passes

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great response by Ms. Larkin. I agree.

It depends. Here in Maryland, all deadlines are extended. I don't know what local practice is in your district. Ask your attorney.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.

Jacques H. Geisenberger Jr.

Since you asked the question from Reading, Pennsylvania, and you filed your case in the USBC EDPA the deadline is not automatically extended. Be aware that a Creditor, the Office of the United States Trustee, or your Chapter 7 Trustee can ask the Court to extend the deadline and seek an extension of the deadline.

Unless the local rules state otherwise, the other deadlines remain the same.

By posting on this site or answering/responding to questions does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended to be an opinion only. My opinion is not intended to be a guarantee or promise of any outcome or result in your matter.

Usually all the other dates remain the same. This has been changed in some districts by local rules. Check with a local bankruptcy attorney to see what applies in your district.

This is not legal advice and I am not your attorney until you retain my office. Always consult with an attorney in your area before acting on anything you read on the internet.