Chapter 7 means test. Does a leased car get treated the same way as a financed car on means test? What about on schedule B?

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

just wondering. Doing some preliminary calculations.

1. Brian Crozier Whitaker

5

Answered . You would certainly get the operating expense deduction. Since you don't "own" the leased car, it sounds like you might not be entitled to the "ownership" expense deduction ... but I have never had a problem taking it. The rationale, if it ever became an issue, is that you are, in fact, creating a contingent ownership interest in the car as you are creating the reduced buyout.

2. Alan D. Walton

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. While there are arguments otherwise, the lease payments are treated the same as purchase loan payments on the means test. I usually leave leased vehicle off of schedule B, but list the lease on G, and list it on item 14 of the Statement of Financial Affairs.

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

4

Answered . You don't own the car so it is not listed on Sch. B, goes on Sch.G. Yes, the monthly payment belongs on means test, IF there is an "assumption of abuse." Talk with a BK attorney.

4. Matthew Scott Berkus

3

Answered . Generally, a leased car is not a secured debt, so you are limited to the IRS allowed ownership expense on the means test.