Chapter 7 filling out debt form

Columbia, SC |
Filed under: Chapter 7 bankruptcy

should I list the orinal debtor as well as the collection agency, especially because some of my debts hre 5 years old? To cover myself?

1. Yes-- always list anyone that could possibly make a claim. There is no real downside to that and you ensure all potential claims are listed.

This is a general response to a general inquiry and is not intended to for any type of relationship, including but not limited to an attorney client relationship. You should consult with an attorney in your area regarding this matter and provide such attorney with all relevant facts and circumstances so proper and full advice can be given as to the specific facts of your case. The undersigned is solely licensed in Florida.

2. Yes, it always best to list any creditor that may be associated with the debt. Naming all such persons will only be to your benefit. Also, if you do not have an attorney, you are strongly advised to hire one. An attorney can assist you in gaining the maximum benefit from the bankruptcy process in addition to properly navigating the rules and procedures.

I wish you well resolving your legal issue.

NO attorney-client relationship is created by this response. This information is provided for general legal information only and does not constitute advice. It does not address specific, personal issues as there is no direct contact with the questioner nor a review of any applicable documents. Responses are based on SC law or any applicable federal law as I am an attorney licensed only in SC. You are strongly advised to consult with an attorney in-person. The Brown Law Office, LLC is a private law firm owned and managed by Tina L. Brown, solo practitioner, and providing legal representation for consumer debtors under the United States Bankruptcy Code, some general consumer matters, defense of tenants in rental matters, with a particular emphasis upon income based housing, education law and social security disability appeals.

3. Not just to cover yourself. After the bankruptcy is over, wouldn't you like to repair your credit? If you don't list a creditor as a duplicate listing, you may find it difficult to remove creditors you didn't list. Hope this perspective helps!