Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Exemptions?

Steelville, MO |
Filed under: Bankruptcy exemptions

I am filing chapter 7 bankruptcy in Missouri.Me and my husband are filing jointly. I cannot afford an attorney so I am filing on my own.And The instructions for the bankruptcy forms are not available online due to them being revised. My question is: On the Missouri State Exemption Statutes Sheet it says that I can exempt $1000 in household goods, furniture etc. Is that for me and my husband as a couple or is it $1000 per person? The same question applies to the wild card exemption: It states " $1250 of any property if head of family, else $400; head of family may claim an additional $250 per child" So is that $1250 for my husband as head of the family, then $400 for me and$ 250 for our child?

It is good advice to get some legal help doing this. That being said, generally those amounts are "per debtor" so you should be able to stack them (one for you, one for him) unless the exemption is specific to the contrary. A good resource you might want to review is www. If you need to research and have a better chance at finding a dedicated bankruptcy attorney in your area, check out NACBA's website and use their lawyer locator option there.

Good luck!

I personally handled a case involving MO exemptions. It was for an individual who had moved to Maryland from Missouri. The exemption scheme is a bit complicated if you're not familiar with it. I actually hired an attorney in MO to go over it with me because the case involved a substantial amount of assets. I would strongly suggest that you get an attorney. If you can't afford one then by all means contact the local bar association to see if you qualify for a pro bono program. Good luck.

Alon Nager
Russack Associates, LLC
Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt