CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY AND US TRUSTEE LIQUIDATION OF NON EXEMPT ASSETS

Asked about 1 year ago - Cherry Hill, NJ

THE VALUE OF ALL MY NON EXEMPT ASSETS (ESTIMATED LIQUIDATION) IS JUST ABOUT ENOUGH TO COVER WHAT I OWE THE IRS. THERE ARE NO OTHER SECURED/PRIORITY CREDITORS, LIENS OR JUDGEMENTS. THERE ARE OTHER CREDITORS BUT THEY ARE NON SECURED. IF I CAN MAKE A PAYMENT DEAL WITH THE IRS DURING THE COURSE OF MY CHAPTER 7, CAN THE US TRUSTEE STILL FORCE A LIQUIDATION IF THE IRS ACCEPTS A PAYOUT OVER A NUMBER OF YEARS. AT THE END OF THE DAY IN A TOTAL LIQUIDATION THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES TO GET PAID. IF THE US TRUSTEE FORCES SALE ZILCH IS LEFT FOR ANYONE ELSE. HELP

1. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

2

Answered . You overlook other creditors who would need to be paid - the Trustee and other professionals. You made the choice to file a Ch.7 and there is no "do over" after the Trustee finds assets and starts to liquidate. This was something to discuss with your lawyer before filing.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . You probably ought to get an attorney to represent you as filing Chapter 7 under these circumstances will be costing you a bundle, not to mention the aggravation. Properly structured, a Chapter 13 could allow you to make payments to satisfy your IRS debt at 0% interest with no more penalties, retain all the nonexempt property without it being liquidated, and allow a discharge of your other debts. There is a reason why people pay bankruptcy attorneys a substantial fee for a Chapter 13 - because it can save you a lot. Hope you don't end up learning the hard way that without a license to practice law & years of experience, you are not qualified to plan for bankruptcy on your own.

3. Diane L Gruber

Pro

Answered . The IRS is a priorty creditor, so they will get paid first. Other unsecured creditors' amounts will be discharged.