Skip to main content

Chapter 7 bankruptcy ? Please help. Please.

Kirkland, WA |

I don't know how much longer I can take the mental abuse from my boyfriend. We have two kids together and I just try so hard to be strong , just take it and make it work but some days are so wearing. My main problem is we have 4 credit cards ALL in my name with a total balance of about $15,000.00. If I leave I would be unable to pay. He refuses to pay me child support if I leave, he said he would quit his job and work side jobs before he would let me leave and him hand over money to me. Could I get a job, yes but I would need child care and help from the state and such to do so.... I feel stuck, I have never been late on a payment for anything. At this point I could care less about losing my okay credit score. I just want to know there is an option for me to maybe have a happy life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to call a bankruptcy attorney. We offer free consultations. Bankruptcy law is a means to get a fresh start and the process for a typical case from beginning to end is about 4 months.

Information applicable in Washington State. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Arrow Law Group, PLLC is a debt relief agency as defined by the United States Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for relief under Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 of the United States Bankruptcy Code.


You may qualify for services such as subsidized child care, food stamps and medical services, etc. You should contact you local Dept of Social and Health Services to get a start on info. If you are not working, the credit card companies cannot garnish wages that don't exist. Handle the family stuff first; the credit card issues will wait at least until you find employment IF you happen to go that route. If you don't, then, again, they can't garnish wages that don't exist. Above and beyond all that, google "community services" for your area and see what also is available. So, you do have some options! :-) Hang in there and take action.

My response is general information not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. Seek advice from a qualified attorney to see how the law fits your specific facts. I am licensed to practice law in Washington and Oregon.


I would agree that you should talk to an attorney to see your options. I am not sure if it is a bankruptcy attorney or someone who deals with services provided by the state. I would agree that since you are not working you may well be judgment proof and that your family issues should probably be worked out before you worry about the credit issues.

My answer is general information not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Seek advice from a qualified attorney to see how the law fits your specific facts. If you are in Washington, please feel free to contact us at (425) 283-0432 to see if we might be of assistance.


Work on getting help with leaving the abusive situation first. All the credit cards can do is sue you. You have nothing to take. If you need file bankruptcy, you probably qualify for Chapter 7, which means that the credit cards will all be gone without any payments.


First, you should seek legal advice from a divore attorney on your rights as common children. That is foremost. Once you are on your own, get a job. We can help you get rid of the debt in a chapter 7 bankrupty most likely in light of the facts and number of children and income. If he wants to stop his employment and hide the rest of his be it..but threatening you with it is only more abuse! Maybe he will be a real date, continue working, see his kids and the child support come out of his checks. One thing is for sure.. it wont happen if you dont try. That is not the way to live. My consulatiion is free. I have helped over 8,000 persons file bankruptcy in Western Washington since 1987. Only I , the attorney advises you.. Its free. call me..anytime..24 hrs and leave message if I am with another client when you call.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer