Chapter 7. For a purchase money security interest to exist, is the creditor required to inform me of the "security interest "?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Nashville, TN

I have a GE Capital Retail Bank Credit Card Account which states that the Agreement is between GE Capital Retail Bank and me.
Electronic Express' name is on the card which can only be used for purchases at Electronic Express.
There is no mention of "security interest" or "UCC" on any documents or agreements.

1. 2

Best Answer

Answered . In order for there to be a purchase money security interest granted to a creditor, you would have to agree. It may have been buried in the documents you signed to obtain the card, but you must agree.

If you did not agree the debt is unsecured.

2. 2

1

Answered . You would have needed to agree to the security interest. There's a good chance you did "agree" when you signed the application for the credit. If you read through that carefully you will likely find the security interest mentioned, which is often the case for credit received through electronics and furniture stores.

3. 2

1

Answered . Interesting. This sounds like a department store card, such as Sears credit card. Check the fine print on the contract you signed. It probaby allows purchase money security interest on all the items you buy at Electronic Express. BTW, I never heard of Electronic Express. Must be a southern chain of stores. Given that it sounds like they only sell electronics, you could rack up a lot of charges on your card with just one visit so I'm not surprised that the agreement would have purchase money language in it. Be careful how much you use this card. Good luck.