Skip to main content

Chapter 13 bankruptcy credit cards

Spring, TX |
Filed under: Chapter 13 bankruptcy

My debt is $60,000, my job income is stable, more than 10 yrs working steadily, gross income is $3290,

Attorney Answers 7

  1. What is the question?

    If you are asking whether Chapter 13 is the best way, or advisable - then maybe at that debt level you should file for BK.

    If you were filing in WA, your income would be below the single family average,so you could file for Chapter 7, which is typically the preferred option unless you are trying to protect something like a home.

    A better and deeper look at your debts, and the types of debts, would give me a better picture of which chapter would be better for you.

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

  2. None of that matters. What matters is 1) your family size and 2) how much money you have left after paying for your necessary living expenses. If under $200/month, you might be eligible to eliminate your debts in Chapter 7. Hope this perspective helps!

  3. Without knowing more, Chapter 7 looks like a better option.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.

  4. I would try to get a chance after 7 but if you insist chapter 13 maybe the route to go you're probably under the median income for this region in there for a call if I for Chapter 7 in received this you're probably under the median income for this region and would qualify for Chapter 7 in ,

  5. The information that you have provided is too incomplete to provide any meaningful guidance. Good luck.

    Please consult an attorney who is licensed in your state to evaluate your case if you have any questions at all. This communication does not in any way create an attorney client relationship.

  6. If your total gross monthly household income is $3290 per month, you are under the "median" income and would likely qualify for chapter 7.

    Or if you can afford to make a monthly payment to a chapter 13 plan, you can choose to file chapter 13 if you wish, if you just want to repay part of your debt, if your actual living expenses are extremely low, or if you have other reasons to file chapter 13.

    You should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to review all of your options.

    We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

  7. I agree with my colleagues. However, you must consult an experienced bankruptcy attorney who will conduct a statutorily required "Means Test" to determine if you can file a Chapter 7. If you have too much money left each month after all of your expenses are covered, you would be required to file a Chapter 13. Good luck to you.

    J Thomas Smith, J.D., Ph.D.
    11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280
    Houston, TX 77092

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics