Skip to main content

Changing status of visit visa B2 to investment visa E2

San Diego, CA |

I am an Iranian national, marred, already in USA, is that possible for me to change my status? How long dose it teaks? How much I have to pay? what document do I need ? after how long I can apply for my wife visa?
please send me the all other points that I have to know ...

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Depending on how much time you have remaining on your B1/2 you may be eligible to change status. Time, cost and documentation will vary depending on the business, your level of readiness and the type of business you are looking to purchase or start. You may require an OFAC license depending on where your funds are. Your wife will be eligible to apply for a visa once your E-2 is approved. Familiarize yourself with the terms substantial investment and do some more research on the requirements and restrictions of an E-2 before moving forward. Consult an attorney experienced with E visas.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

  2. Hire an immigration attorney to know the points or do your research and try to understand this rather complicated area on your own. It is up to you.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  3. You might want to as a start point for your research.

  4. Investment needs to be substantial

  5. You might be able to change status to E2, an attorney would need to review the conditions of your B2 entry and evaluate the strength of an E2 case. If the change is approved, your wife would be eligible to apply for an E2 visa abroad. This is such a complicated area of immigration law that attempting it on your own would be a mistake. Set up a consultation with an attorney that knows E2s ASAP and plan your strategy well from the beginning.

    Maria J. Marty Attorney at Law | | Office: 206.494.9999 McAuliff Law Firm | 14205 SE 36th St., Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98006 Skype ID: mjmarty-mcauliff This is general information and not legal advice. For a more complete assessment of your situation, please contact our office. Our practice is limited to U.S. Immigration Law. Our attorneys have over 20 years of experience representing international companies, investors, professionals and families with US immigration matters.

  6. Yes, you may be qualified to change your status to E-2. Please see

    Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  7. Yes, you can

    Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics