Skip to main content

Changing sponsors AFTER immigrating to the US?

Rancho Cordova, CA |

I'm married to a US citizen. My husband last year didn't make enough money to qualify as a sponsor so he had to get a joint-sponsor whose i864 was accepted and now I'm in the US as a legal permanent resident. My sponsor doesn't feel comfortable about being a sponsor (change of mind) anymore and is wondering if my husband, who is NOW making enough money can "transfer" the sponsorship to him so that my joint-sponsor can have the peace of mind of not being responsible for any one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


There is no way to do this.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Sorry, the sponsor cannot get off the hook.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


This is not possible for the sponsor

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


you can't


I agree with my colleagues.


Not possible.


Agree with colleagues.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer