Changing my name when naturalization be a problem to petition parents?

City Of Industry, CA |

If I fully change me name (First and last name) when I become a USC through Naturalization will it be a problem at the time when petitioning my parents for green card?

This will not be a problem at all. You will receive an official name change document after you naturalize. You will submit this document along with your naturalization certificate and birth certificate. On the petition, you will put your former name under "other names used" and the USCIS will be able to make the connection.

Attorney Jennifer Ahn's answer is to provide general information only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The content of this answer is not intended to substitute accurate legal advice, which is relevant to all the facts and circumstances of your specific case. This answer does not create an Attorney-Client relationship. (847) 297-9200

Thank you very much for he information

Jennifer Heewon Ahn

Jennifer Heewon Ahn

Your welcome. To clarify, you should submit copies of the above mentioned documents and not the originals. Good luck!

Not as long as you can document the name change.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.

I agree, but use an immigration attorney not a family law one.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.