Changing locks on house when tenant is out but belongings are in a locked room which they have the key. Can I change the locks?

Apopka, FL |

Can I change front door lock as they have threatened me and wont return my front door key or mailbox key . I ask them to bring police with them to get their belongings . I am in fear of my safety . They were ask to leave as they were dealing drugs . They were renting a room which is still locked with their belongings . I do not have a key to their room . They all so own back rent . I really don't care about that though . I just want to change front door lock so I can feel safe and beadle to leave my home without worry they will rob me .

We offered to let them back in with rules of no dealing. She refused, and told us she wasnt coming back.She has been moving her stuff out little by little but only when someone is here with me. I have not left this house except to run to corner store, which takes 5 min. She has already taken things out of room that is not hers. Things that are mine. She has also left her Kitten and dog behind and yes I am taking care of them as my own. Did that when she was here also as she wouldnt feed,water or walk them. Please I need some kinda answer. She is in my neighborhood as I type this.

From what you describe, there are multiple issues pending and questions to be asked. Do you have a lease with the tenants, or were they paying month to month with no specific term. Did you serve notice any formal written notice to your tenants to leave, or was it just verbal? How long has it been since they vacated the premises? What are you going to do with any property the tenants might have left behind?

All these issues should be discussed with a local attorney as soon as possible to make sure you are properly protecting your property, your rights, and complying with the law. If there is criminal activity taking place at your property, and/or you are being threatened, you may also want to contact the police. Once you have legal possession, you will also have to properly deal with the personal property that may be left behind by your tenants. All of these issues and questions are beyond the scope of this forum.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant