Skip to main content

Changing jobs with approved I-140

Minneapolis, MN |

I need your expert advice on my situation explained below. Appreciate you taking time to help me.

I currently have an approved I-140 with Jan 2012 (Date of Labor) priority date for EB2 Category. I am currently working as a Technical Analyst. At my current company, there is an opportunity to move to a Project management job. My manager is willing to let me make the switch. However, me and my manager are concerned if this will impact the green card processing negatively. Also, what steps should we take to complete the process (ex : Amending my current H1B, Filling Labor, I-140 for new job, ...). Will I be able to retain my priority date?

Looking forward for your input.


Attorney Answers 4

  1. Since this appears to be an immigration question I will switch your category for you so that you can get some answers from the attys that are familiar with that area of the law.

  2. Personally, I have noted a troubling recurrent pattern as follows: an overwhelming number of foreign nationals seeking H1B are placing a barrage of very complex questions attempting to complete that elaborate process groping around in the dark, when the very first thing they need to do is retain one competent immigration visa attorney to avoid mistakes, omissions, delays and denials.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. You should consult your employer's immigration attorney as the attorney knows all of the facts surrounding your case.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. My esteemed colleague is absolutely right. Enough already! Spend the money an have a Consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area about all these Case specific, highly convoluted and complex questions. Any skilled immigration lawyer you consult will tell you that job promotions are okay and will not hamper the green card process already in progress.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics