Changing DBA name

Asked over 1 year ago - Metuchen, NJ

I started an LLC with a DBA name, which I would like to change. Is it generally better to add another DBA name (2 DBA names under the LLC) or unregister the first DBA and then register the new DBA? In either case, how do you make that change? Thanks.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher Edward Ezold


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

    That being said, I am assuming this is for doing business in NJ. Are you an LLC from outside of NJ? If so, you can use a DBA. If you are an LLC that was formed in NJ, you must use an 'alternate name.' In both cases you cannot register these names online, but by filing the proper form and supporting documents. New Jersey's state website has some good information on this: i.e.; however, business name issues raise a host of other questions - trademark, etc. - that you may wish to discuss with an attorney. Whether to unregister a name, etc., is one of those questions.

    If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

    /Christopher E. Ezold/

    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    Employment, Business and Health Law
    One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585

    Answered 8 months ago. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed... more
  2. Ronald J Cappuccio


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . In New Jersey, you will file an Alternative Name with the Division of Revenue. It is best to have a LLC lawyer review your Certificate of Formation, Operating Agreement and other documents to make sure what have have done is proper an meets your needs.

    Good Luck

    Ron Cappuccio,
    856 665-2121

    If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary... more
  3. Adam Lefkowitz

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Generally speaking, submitting a form to change an LLC's trade name is fairly straight forward. I agree with previous counsels' answers and impress upon you the need to have an attorney review the LLC's operating agreement, certificate of formation, and any other governing documentation.

    Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,324 answers this week

2,833 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,324 answers this week

2,833 attorneys answering