Changing an Arraignment date

Santa Barbara, CA |

Is there some way i can move my arraignment date for a misdemeanor closer?

You might be able to -but you must first check with DA's office to see if they have even gotten to filing a complaint against you, At the arraignment the DA would be required to give you whatever discovery they have. They sometimes do this just a week before your scheduled arraignment.

After they have filed the complaint, what would I have to do to request that the arraignment be moved up?

It would be very unusual and you will probably run into resistance. Just as it has already been said, the prosecutor's office may not be ready because the prioritize the in custody cases over the out of custody cases.

It would probably be more hassle than it is worth. If you will not be in town you can hire a lawyer who can appear for you on a misdemeanor. Good luck.

Mr. Roberts is correct, you may be able to, but you should first check with the DA's office to see if they have filed or not.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me.

Elliot Zarabi
www.zarabilaw.om
213-612-7720

You can try, however, if the d.a.'s office hasn't filed the charges yet, then that won't be possible. Sometimes they will wait until the day before to file the charges. On rarer occasion they might not even file charges as of the date selected by the police officer due to an ongoing investigation or, for example, further chemical testing of a blood or urine sample (if applicable). What you might not already know is that if you hire a private lawyer to represent you in the matter then you likely won't ever have to appear in court (personally). The lawyer's job is to get you the best result he or she can and make the whole thing more manageable for you.
If you aren't sure whether you can afford to hire an experienced professional, you should take advantage of a free consultation and many more of your questions can be answered. It can't hurt.