Change of status from F1 to H1B was approved; How do I obtain a new H1B visa for future travels and entrances to the US?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

I'm a 2nd year PhD student on F1, applied for change of status to H1B that was approved, and start working on 10/1/2013.
Do I get a new H1B visa in my passport, to replace the current F1? Does that happen after 10/1?
If not, how exactly do I reenter the US under H1B status after any future travels outside the US (done after 10/1)?

1. Cindy Medina

3

Best Answer

Answered . You will have to travel abroad, as stated by my colleague, preferably to your home country to go to embassy or consulate to get your new visa. You should have your employer's attorney inform you about the process and find out if he/she will be scheduling the appointment for you or if you have to do it yourself.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . To get a new visa stamp, you can go home for a vacation and apply at the US Consul.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

Answered . Go home for a visit and apply for a new visa at the consulate.

4. John Grayson Davidson

Pro

2

Answered . The only way to get a new visa in your passport is to leave the US and go to a foreign consulate. Preferably, you would go to your home country.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com
  5. Akanksha Kalra

Answered . If your H-1B petition was approved as a "change of status" from F-1 to H-1B and you were issued an new I-94 card, then you may not need to get a new H-1B visa stamp in order to start working on Oct. 1st. The next time you travel outside the U.S., you will need to apply for an H-1B visa stamp in your home country in order to re-enter the U.S. in H-1B status. You should discuss this with the immigration attorney, if you or your employer had one for your H-1B process.