Skip to main content

Change of status from F1 to H1B was approved; How do I obtain a new H1B visa for future travels and entrances to the US?

Philadelphia, PA |

I'm a 2nd year PhD student on F1, applied for change of status to H1B that was approved, and start working on 10/1/2013.
Do I get a new H1B visa in my passport, to replace the current F1? Does that happen after 10/1?
If not, how exactly do I reenter the US under H1B status after any future travels outside the US (done after 10/1)?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You will have to travel abroad, as stated by my colleague, preferably to your home country to go to embassy or consulate to get your new visa. You should have your employer's attorney inform you about the process and find out if he/she will be scheduling the appointment for you or if you have to do it yourself.

    **Please mark as helpful or best answer if you find this response helpful** MEDINA LAW GROUP PC: EXPERIENCED TEXAS IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS. email:; Phone: (210) 821-4500; Fax: 210-821-4500; 1802 NE Loop 410, Ste 104, San Antonio, TX 78217. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Furthermore, the content of this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. I apologize in advance for any spelling or typographical errors. MEDINA LAW GROUP PC.

  2. The only way to get a new visa in your passport is to leave the US and go to a foreign consulate. Preferably, you would go to your home country.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  3. To get a new visa stamp, you can go home for a vacation and apply at the US Consul.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  4. Go home for a visit and apply for a new visa at the consulate.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. If your H-1B petition was approved as a "change of status" from F-1 to H-1B and you were issued an new I-94 card, then you may not need to get a new H-1B visa stamp in order to start working on Oct. 1st. The next time you travel outside the U.S., you will need to apply for an H-1B visa stamp in your home country in order to re-enter the U.S. in H-1B status. You should discuss this with the immigration attorney, if you or your employer had one for your H-1B process.

    Akanksha Kalra, Attorney at Law: 215-542-4905 or Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics