Change of sponsor from parents to friend. Still ok?

Asked 10 months ago - Lexington, MA

I received my F1 visa in september 2012 (Valid until 2017) sponsored by my parents in my home country Germany. After 2 semesters I decided to transfer. Then came the problem that my parents couldn't afford it anymore to pay for my studys.
During the 10 months I lived int he US, my (american) roomate became my "best friend', contact person etc here in America. I would say he is my family here, but like a brother. He is not my boyfriend. My roomate suggested to sponsor me. For him it isnt a lot of money, he can afford it. So I could apply and I just received the acceptance letter.
I am planning to travel home next week and I am afraid on my way back into the US that they could not let me enter the US because my sponsor is "only" a friend.
Do I need to worry about this? Thank you

1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

3

Answered . The school did not have any problems with the sponsorship, as long as he has the funds and pays the tuition.

There is always a risk when re-entering the US. Speak to your DSO at the school and determine exactly everything you need to bring with you when you travel.

2. Anu Gupta

Pro

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

3. Lalita Haran

Answered . Yes you do have problem if the officer asked you about it but will he? I don't know. Your DSO may be able to guide you with this. Or else talk to an attorney. best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com