Skip to main content

Change of place, green-card

New York, NY |

I want to change my place of residency, i am waiting to receive my green-card also, if I change my place, can I forward my mails? or green-card mail is a certified mail?
If it is certified mail and needs I fill form of change of residence, how long it delays that I get my green-card?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I would not change my address quite yet. Even with the change of address, there is a lag time with USCIS, and there is no guarantee that the mail will be forwarded to your correct address.

  2. It's taking about 4 months for an I-130 to be approved, and you can check local adjudication times for when interviews are being scheduled. A lost green card can be difficult to retrieve, so if you are close to an answer and can wait, it might be prudent to do so.

  3. If you have been approved already, i would wait until receiving the card before changing addresses.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  4. I agree..waiting is the best option.

    The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics