Change of employer during extension filed with current employer.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My Current H1 B is valid until May 2013. If my current employer is filing an H1 Extension through regular processing it may take 4-5 months for the decision.
In the mean while is it possible for me to change employer while my H1 extension is in progress? Kindly request you to let me know if there are any risks involved. Thanks for your answer in advance.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

1

Answered . Your new employer can file an application for an H-1B change of employers, but it will go more smoothly if you wait until your extension is approved.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, while your current H-1B status is still valid. It doesn't matter if your current employer will also have an application for the extension of the H-1B you currently hold with them.

A petition by your new prospective employer will be accepted and adjudicated on its merits. All you need is to be in valid status when that new H-1B petition will be submitted.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Yes, you could change employers while it is pending ... but it will be a mess.