Change of status from F1 to J1

Fremont, OH |

I'm currently on a J1 visa but due to change in my plans i wish to change to F1.
I applied for an I-20 which will be ready in August for January admissions.My current J1 visa expires in October.I would like to know whether i will be fine since i will be out of status by the time i get a reply from USCIS even though i am currently in status till october.

As long as you "timely file" - apply for the change of status before the current status expires - you can remain while the change application is pending.

Speak with a lawyer and/or the school issuing the I-20 for guidance on the process.

I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration