Change in venue

Asked over 1 year ago - Norwalk, CA

a criminal law judge was assigned to a family law case, i would like to change the venue to get a family law judge, what forms do i need?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can't have it transferred just because you don't like the judge.

    This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation.... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not a change of venue, and you don't get to pick your judge. However, if you believe that the assigned judge is biased toward you or your attorney, you can file a peremptory challenge to the judge pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure section 170.6.

    The form for Los Angeles Superior Court is:

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Robert Bruce Kopelson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . venue means where the case will be heard, such as another county. there are specific grounds for venue change, and you likely dont have them. if you dont want this judge to hear the case, you can file a 170.6 challenge. You are allowed one such challenge in the case. That judge will then be disqualified to hear the case,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,038 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,038 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering