Change employer after I140 approval

Asked 10 months ago - Blacklick, OH

My I 140 has been approved. I have H1B extension till Jan 2016. Can I change employers?
What if my new employer files for H1B transfer and my old employer withdraws I140 before H1B transfer gets approved? Is that possible and will that be an issue.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Eli Larson


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you also have a Form I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status pending, and it has been pending for over 180 days, you may change employers and it won't matter if your old employer withdraws the I-140, as long as you are still working in the same or similar occupational classification.

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, but the I-140 is likely to be withdrawn.

    Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You can use the priority date to get another H1.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,899 answers this week

2,754 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary