Change employer after I140 approval

Asked 10 months ago - Blacklick, OH

My I 140 has been approved. I have H1B extension till Jan 2016. Can I change employers?
What if my new employer files for H1B transfer and my old employer withdraws I140 before H1B transfer gets approved? Is that possible and will that be an issue.

1. David Eli Larson

Pro

2

Answered . If you also have a Form I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status pending, and it has been pending for over 180 days, you may change employers and it won't matter if your old employer withdraws the I-140, as long as you are still working in the same or similar occupational classification.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . Yes, but the I-140 is likely to be withdrawn.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

1

3

Answered . You can use the priority date to get another H1.