Chances of reduction to Reckless driving if not, is it possible to get occupational license since I had not transferred license?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I am Wisconsin Resident with an out of state valid license that I had not transferred. Charged with DUI in Monroe County, BAC .11. I was pulled over on the side of the road after a tractor trailer cut me off and tire blew. While waiting for tow, cop pulled up to check things out. I was 100% cooperative, clean record. I really didn't think I had too much to drink, but I am not a large person.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with the first answer. I would add WI is not part of the interstate compact. So, WI will not directly contact the state in which you are licensed if you are administratively suspended. Thus, your out of state license may not be affected. You cannot, however, drive in WI without a valid license, regular or occupational. If your WI license is suspended before you actually get a WI license, you should still be eligible for an occupational, as long as you have SR-22 insurance:

    You may check you eligibility for an occupational license here:

    You may check your WI driver license status here:

    Your chances of getting this reduced to a reckless driving are zero without an attorney. Even with an attorney, it may be an uphill battle. Contact local, experienced DUI defense attorneys for more specific advice.

    You may only have 10 busines days from the date you were arrested to request a hearing before the WI DOT and try to avoid an administrative suspension. So, do not delay with contacting attorneys.

    Good luck!

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Wisconsin law prohibits amendment of these charges unless a record is made as to how it is in the public interest to do so. The fact that you were cooperative and have a clean record doesn't get you there. There are many fine OWI defense attorneys in the greater Milwaukee area, schedule a confidential consult with one of them.

    You should be eligible for an occupational on the administrative suspension and/or court-ordered revocation as long as you haven't been suspended or revoked in the last twelve months.

    This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,211 answers this week

3,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,211 answers this week

3,946 attorneys answering