Chances of finding a new personal injury lawyer?

Rosenberg, TX |

Continuation from my question earlier today. http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/personal-injury-lawyer-quit-after-3-months--now-wh-1080916.html

1. My mother and I lawyer quit after 3 months of misleading us.

2. My mother received messages on her voicemail today from the other 2 insurance companies that the lawyer told them to drop the case.

3. My mother is tired of it all so she told me she's done with everything. She wishes not to get another lawyer; she's fed up and feels hopeless after the bank sold her car, etc.

4. I have medical bills (over $5,000).

The main problem: How can I find a contingency PI lawyer who would be willing to really help me settle my medical debt? I've read on here that most won't take small cases & cases where another lawyer was involved?

I feel miserable!!!

1. You can always ask your previous attorney for a Letter of Release that states he/she will not be holding a lien on the case. This usually will get other attorneys to take a second look at your case. If you are able to contact an attorney for a consultation, be sure to speak realistically about your expectations of both representation and settlement. Your local Bar Association might have a referral service that could give you the contact information for some more attorneys to speak with.

This answer is meant for information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship has been established between the Avvo user and Cesar Garcia.

2. Have your old attorney sign a substitution of attorney and shop around a bit.You can start on this website.

3. This is not an ethics issue, at least not primarily. Accordingly, I have edited the practice area and tags you specified so you will get responses from plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers, which is what you are looking for.

I suggest that you consult a Richmond or Sugar Land plaintiffs' lawyer who is certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. A link to the Board's website appears below.

www.tbls.org

4. You need to find a personal injury attorney in your area that can help you. Just start calling around. Most if not all offer free initial consultations.

All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or final legal advice. It is always best to consult a lawyer in your area on your exact case/claim. Each state has different laws, statutes of limitations and regulations. This lawyer is only licensed in the State of Texas. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of GREGG S. HARRISON, PLLC, nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Office of GREGG S. HARRISON PLLC. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. GREGG HARRISON. Visit our website at www.greggharrison.com or call 832-797-7600 to discuss your legal issue; We represent injured persons who have been involved in motor vehicle collisions, 18-wheeler/truck wrecks and motorcycle accidents; all types of general negligence and catastrophic injury claims.

5. To what the others have answered I add this about the comment to contact your state bar and see if they have a lawyer referral service: Here in Nevada where I practice the state bar's lawyer referral service requires lawyers to pay a 20% referral fee to the state bar on all referrals. The lawyer referral service does not disclose this to the client and I don't believe most lawyers do. So, before using a state bar referral service ask if there is a referral fee. If there is, then a case coming to a lawyer through lawyer referral will automatically be less attractive to the lawyer. I do accept referral from the Nevada State Bar (which always notifies lawyers of referrals so the lawyer knows it is a referral case even if the client denies it) but my criteria for accepting lawyer referral cases is a bit tougher than cases that come without a referral fee obligation. So, if your state bar has a lawyer referral service, ask if the lawyer must pay a referral fee.