Chances of finding a new personal injury lawyer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rosenberg, TX

Continuation from my question earlier today.

1. My mother and I lawyer quit after 3 months of misleading us.

2. My mother received messages on her voicemail today from the other 2 insurance companies that the lawyer told them to drop the case.

3. My mother is tired of it all so she told me she's done with everything. She wishes not to get another lawyer; she's fed up and feels hopeless after the bank sold her car, etc.

4. I have medical bills (over $5,000).

The main problem: How can I find a contingency PI lawyer who would be willing to really help me settle my medical debt? I've read on here that most won't take small cases & cases where another lawyer was involved?

I feel miserable!!!

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Cesar Garcia

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can always ask your previous attorney for a Letter of Release that states he/she will not be holding a lien on the case. This usually will get other attorneys to take a second look at your case. If you are able to contact an attorney for a consultation, be sure to speak realistically about your expectations of both representation and settlement. Your local Bar Association might have a referral service that could give you the contact information for some more attorneys to speak with.

    This answer is meant for information purposes only. No attorney-client relationship has been established between... more
  2. Don Karotkin

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not an ethics issue, at least not primarily. Accordingly, I have edited the practice area and tags you specified so you will get responses from plaintiffs' personal injury lawyers, which is what you are looking for.

    I suggest that you consult a Richmond or Sugar Land plaintiffs' lawyer who is certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. A link to the Board's website appears below.

    Good luck.

  3. Gregg Samuel Harrison

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to find a personal injury attorney in your area that can help you. Just start calling around. Most if not all offer free initial consultations.

    All responses on this site by this attorney are considered practical & general and does not constitute absolute or... more
  4. Carmine John Giardino

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered .

  5. Michael Douglas Shafer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have your old attorney sign a substitution of attorney and shop around a bit.You can start on this website.

  6. Jonathan Craig Reed


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To what the others have answered I add this about the comment to contact your state bar and see if they have a lawyer referral service: Here in Nevada where I practice the state bar's lawyer referral service requires lawyers to pay a 20% referral fee to the state bar on all referrals. The lawyer referral service does not disclose this to the client and I don't believe most lawyers do. So, before using a state bar referral service ask if there is a referral fee. If there is, then a case coming to a lawyer through lawyer referral will automatically be less attractive to the lawyer. I do accept referral from the Nevada State Bar (which always notifies lawyers of referrals so the lawyer knows it is a referral case even if the client denies it) but my criteria for accepting lawyer referral cases is a bit tougher than cases that come without a referral fee obligation. So, if your state bar has a lawyer referral service, ask if the lawyer must pay a referral fee.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,008 answers this week

2,943 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,008 answers this week

2,943 attorneys answering