Chances of early termination of probation as well as reducing my "wobbler" felony charge at upcoming hearing? in CA

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I was convicted of assault with GBI in Feb 2009 in California. I have a upcoming modification hearing on 4/4/13. My public defender is seeking to reduce my felony wobbler to a misdemeanor while hoping to terminate probation. I still owe about 50,000 in restitution but it is "joint and several" between 3 codefendants. I have settled a personal injury lawsuit and have already paid the victim a $20,000 lump sum.

About me: I am 22 years old(male), attend San Diego State University as an International Business major with an above 3.5 GPA. I volunteer coaching youth basketball throughout the year. I have completed all anger management and have had zero probation violations. My probation officer has submitted what she called a "docket" I believe, recommending an early termination of probation.

I forgot to add that i also have been working part-time throughout the probation period while maintaing a 15 unit/semester school schedule

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

4

1

Answered . You should confine your questions to your public defender. You are represented by counsel and we will not say or do anything to second guess that lawyer. If she said you had a good chance then you probably do.

2. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

3

1

Answered . The chances are more accurately provided to you by your current attorney than by any of us strangers on the internet.

Good Luck.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  3. Joel Edward Lueck

Pro

2

1

Answered . Based upon my experience and what you have shared, it sounds like your chances are good.

4. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

1

Answered . Speak to your public defender. BTW -- in my experience school is given a great deal more weight than work in these matters, so don't let work interfer with school and the GPA.