CH 7 Cramdown for investment property - how does it work?

after the cramdown process (investment property) in a CH7, can the CH7 be converted to a CH13? Investment property in foreclosure, 50% underwater, currently leased.

Norfolk, VA -

Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Bankruptcy Attorney - Glen Allen, VA

Redemption is for personal property. If you convert, you will need to qualify for a 13 (may be a problem if you exceed the debt limits) AND you need a plan that can pay off the value over 3-5 years. See local lawyer for a complete review.

Alan D. Walton

Alan D. Walton

Bankruptcy Attorney - Birch Run, MI

Cramdown (forcing the lender to accept actual value with payments over time) is a chapter 13 process. The chapter 7 equivalent is redemption (lump sum payment of actual value). So cramdown does not work in a chapter 7, and you question is not answerable. Best to consult with an attorney who knows these things.

Jeffrey B. Lampert

Jeffrey B. Lampert

Bankruptcy Attorney - West Palm Beach, FL

A "cramdown" can occur only in a Chapter 13, not a 7, as my colleagues have noted.

Related Advice