Skip to main content

CH 7 Cramdown for investment property - how does it work?

Norfolk, VA |

after the cramdown process (investment property) in a CH7, can the CH7 be converted to a CH13? Investment property in foreclosure, 50% underwater, currently leased.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Cramdown (forcing the lender to accept actual value with payments over time) is a chapter 13 process. The chapter 7 equivalent is redemption (lump sum payment of actual value). So cramdown does not work in a chapter 7, and you question is not answerable. Best to consult with an attorney who knows these things.

  2. Redemption is for personal property. If you convert, you will need to qualify for a 13 (may be a problem if you exceed the debt limits) AND you need a plan that can pay off the value over 3-5 years. See local lawyer for a complete review.

    Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

  3. A "cramdown" can occur only in a Chapter 13, not a 7, as my colleagues have noted.

    I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics