Certified Mail for delivery of 5 day eviction notice not picked up

Virginia Beach, VA |

My tenants did not pay the rent this month so I sent them a 5 day notice to pay or quit. I sent it via certified mail, but I did not ask for return receipt. The tracking information shows that that a notice was left, but its not picked up yet. How long do I have to wait before i can go to court, if they don't pick up the letter? Is this enough proof that I've sent the letter, or I have to deliver it in person too?

1. The issue is whether or not the tenant has received service of the 5 day notice. The facts as presented by you are that the notice was dispatched, but you do not have any proof that the tenant received the notice. When the court requires proof, you will not be able to provide it, and your action can be dismissed, and you will have to start over.

With regards to delivering it personally, this is not recommended; typically the sheriff department has a civil enforcement division which can serve the notice for you.

Good Luck and if you need further information, feel free to contact me.

Sam Mansoor, Attorney
    Mansoor Law Firm, PLLC
    50 Catoctin Circle NE #301
    Leesburg, VA 20176
    (703) 404-7733

Disclaimer: the hiring of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information & is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, & any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services & runs a conflict check & you have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Virginia Attorney or an Attorney in your area that knows the relevant facts of your case. www.loudounlawyer.com & www.theprincewilliamlawyer.com

Landlord-tenant law topics