Caused an accident. Made sure everyone was alright. Left the scene. Turned myself in the next day.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Huntington Beach, CA

I was making a left turn and didn't see the car coming towards me. The other car hit my right side. The driver was very angry and distraught. I apologized profusely and held her in my arms to console her. We made sure that her passenger was ok. When I saw the neighbors staring, I got spooked and just snuck away.

I left my car there so I knew that they had my info. Anyways, I stayed up all night and decided to call and turn my self in in the morning. The police came and took my statement. They were skeptical that I ran just because I was scared. Asked if I was drinking. I wasn't. Investigation is ongoing. Should I hire an attorney? I'm afraid that I'll get locked up for a childish mistake that I'm sure only accounted to property damage. Now I'm a criminal.

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

12

1

Answered . If they're claiming injuries, you could be looking at felony hit and run charges. If the injuries are minor or it's only property damage, you could face misdemeanor hit and run charges.

They may have assumed or speculated you were drinking, but without proof that you were under the influence, they could never prove a DUI case against you.

Under any of the circumstances, you're facing criminal charges that carry points on your DMV history, probation, potential jail time and/or fines and other punishment. Yes, it's worth an attorney to see what can be worked out and try to minimize the impact to you and try and avoid a conviction if at all possible.

2. Daniel C Grupenhagen

11

Answered . Its right to seek help by hiring a lawyer. It could be serious with injuries as Mr. Dane stated. If you have insurance that helps. I offer free consultations for this type of matter where you need answers. This happens fairly often but its not too late to start making good choices to protect yourself.

3. Shawn Michael Haggerty

8

1

Answered . Speak with your insurance carrier. Make no statements. Your only criminal act would be to be so hard on yourself. Your insurance will represent you. It was an acciident, toss the guilty thought s aside before you hurt yourself.

4. Robert Laurens Driessen

8

1

Answered . You will need an attorney. Depending upon the extent of the injuries you could be looking at a felony hit and run. At this point do not make any statements about the accident. You can call my office for a free consultation.
    Robert Driessen

5. Steven Mark Sweat

7

1

Answered . You need to retain an attorney before speaking further with the police. You will probably be charged with hit and run.

6. Kevin Coluccio

7

1

Answered . This is a potentially serious matter. You should indeed hire an attorney to assist you with the situation.

7. Guy Irvin Wade III

6

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer. Make no further statements until you do.