Caught with half a gram of marijuana in Dallas, court date is tomorrow, what actions should I take?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Dallas, TX

Im a student, full time in Austin Texas, and have a federal loan.
Im on a very tight budget.
Can i get defferd judgement?
How can I avoid a conviction?
Its my first offence.

1. Richard Timothy Jones

Answered . You need an attorney. If you don't have a prior record you may be eligible for Pretrial diversion.

2. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . If you have court in Dallas tomorrow you have to appear. Even if you're a student you OR YOUR ATTORNEY need to be there. As a first offense, you can get a deferred for marijuana possession but if you push you can get a Memo Agreement. Generally only attorneys can secure a memo agreement which is like pretrial diversion. Complete a period of usually 60-90 days without getting in additional trouble and the charge is dismissed and can then be expunged.

If you can't be there tomorrow, you need to hire an attorney tonight. If you can be there tomorrow you need to be prepared to hire an attorney. I handle misdemeanor and felony marijuana possession cases, so feel free to contact me. In fact, I am finalizing a deferred on a possession case in the morning and will be at the court house if you want to ask any questions. Feel free to email or call.
    Good luck

3. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . You need to have a lawyer represent you. You can appear the first time without a lawyer & tell them you are working on hiring a lawyer; you will get a reset. Call 3 to 5 lawyer to discuss your case then meet with a couple & make a decision. Depending on the facts, you may have a suppression issue.

4. Stephen Neil Foster

Answered . Be there. You can get a lawyer later. Depending on the court, they might not let you have a lawyer show up, instead.

Be dressed up and look clean cut and scared.