Caught that changed tags after checkout at Macy's but did not get arrested(F-1 visa holder)

Louisville, KY |

I was detained over at Macy's after checkout because of tag switching(value of $310). Then LP guy took my ID, asked for my information and took a picture of me and he said it will be just between me and Macy's and it will not be seen on background checks. He didn't call the police, I wasn't give any court date, so I wasn't arrested. He gave me some papers to sign. One saying that I would not come into Macy again or I will be arrested. The other was probably about confession of shoplifting. I don't remember and they didn't give me any copies. I wasn't told I have to pay civil fee that I've been reading about which is $500. I have no prior record. I'm on F-1 right now and my employer will apply for my H1-B soon. Would it be obstacle during the process? What are the possible outcomes?

1. Have your foreign student adviser give you the name of a local attorney that can request a copy of what you signed.

After you have done your 'homework' you will be able to make better/informed decisions.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. I agree with my colleague. You need to get a copy of what you signed. It is hard to tell how it will affect you until you know exactly what it is.

3. In addition to what you sign, you may be questioned regarding the incident by a Consulate Officer. Ideally you should discuss this with an immigration attorney before you make the visa application.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Shoplifting topics