Caught that changed tags after checkout at Macy's but did not get arrested(F-1 visa holder)

Asked over 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

I was detained over at Macy's after checkout because of tag switching(value of $310). Then LP guy took my ID, asked for my information and took a picture of me and he said it will be just between me and Macy's and it will not be seen on background checks. He didn't call the police, I wasn't give any court date, so I wasn't arrested. He gave me some papers to sign. One saying that I would not come into Macy again or I will be arrested. The other was probably about confession of shoplifting. I don't remember and they didn't give me any copies. I wasn't told I have to pay civil fee that I've been reading about which is $500. I have no prior record. I'm on F-1 right now and my employer will apply for my H1-B soon. Would it be obstacle during the process? What are the possible outcomes?

1. Ingrid Arnalda Morfa

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You need to get a copy of what you signed. It is hard to tell how it will affect you until you know exactly what it is.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . In addition to what you sign, you may be questioned regarding the incident by a Consulate Officer. Ideally you should discuss this with an immigration attorney before you make the visa application.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Have your foreign student adviser give you the name of a local attorney that can request a copy of what you signed.

After you have done your 'homework' you will be able to make better/informed decisions.