Caught stealing from Walmart, what will happen?

Asked over 2 years ago - Land O Lakes, FL

Got caught stealing 170 dollars worth of groceries from walmart with my mom. We were sent to a back room questioned and arrested but we didn't get taken to jail. What will happen when we go to court and will we need a public defender?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 13

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should hire an attorney as soon as possible. It sounds like you were given a Notice to Appear in court for an Arraignment. The police will forward your paperwork to the State. Ideally, you should have an attorney advocating for you during the intake of the case, which may affect whether you are charged. The State may file a first degree misdemeanor P.Theft charge. This is punishable by up to 1 year in jail, a $1000 fine, and 1 year probation. That doesn't mean you will get these things. In fact, you may be offered a diversion program or a light sentence. You should have an attorney. An attorney may be able to get your charge dropped, or gain an acquittal, or at least get you the best deal possible. If you can't afford one, you may get a Public Defender when you go to your Arraignment.

    This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The arraignment will be the first hearing. The public defender will be appointed if you cannot afford an attorney. There are many questions on avvo that are almost identical to this one. Then there will be pre-trials every month until the case is resolved. Hopefully, you will be able to get into a deferred prosecution program, pay fines, attend a class, and do a number of community service hours. Then the case will be dropped.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  3. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Every case like every person is different. . If u r a juvenile your case will be dealt with differently than your moms. If u r I suspect the State and judge will not be happy knowing your mom had her child theiving with her.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal court

A criminal court tries only criminal offenses, such as theft, assault and battery, or drug possession. Civil courts handle civil cases, such as lawsuits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,439 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,439 answers this week

3,799 attorneys answering